e hënë, mars 14, 2005

Glycosaminoglycans Modulate Activation, Activity, and Stability of

Tripeptidyl-peptidase I (TPP I, CLN2 protein) is a lysosomal exopeptidase that sequentially removes tripeptides from the N termini of polypeptides and shows a minor endoprotease activity. Mutations in TPP I lead to classic late-infantile neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosis, a neurodegenerative lysosomal storage disease. TPP I proenzyme is converted in lysosomes into a mature enzyme with the assistance of another protease and is able to autoactivate in acidic pH in vitro via a unimolecular mechanism. Because autoactivation in vitro at the pH values reported for lysosomes generated inactive enzyme, we intended to determine whether physiologically relevant factors can modify this process to also make it plausible in vivo. Here, we report that high ionic strength and glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) increase yields (ionic strength) or yields and rates (GAGs) of activation, enhance degradation of liberated TPP I prosegment fragments, and switch effective autoactivation of TPP I proenzyme toward less acidic pH values (up to pH 6.0).